THE BORIS SHCHUKIN THEATRE INSTITUTE
Specialization - "Theatre Director" (Correspondence Course)
Duration of studies: 5 years 8 months
Beginning of studies: September 16, 2022
The artistic director of the course is Evgeny Josefovich Marchelli – theatre, cinema and TV director, honoured Art Worker of RF, Artistic Director of The Mossoveta Theatre.
Please note that all auditions, entrance tests, exams and subsequent training are in the Russian language. For your own convenience the level of your proficiency in Russian should be high.
WHO CAN APPLY
Citizens of the Russian Federation, compatriots, foreign citizens and stateless persons who have secondary (full) general, secondary vocational and higher education, confirmed by the relevant educational documents (certificate, diploma).
WHO CAN STUDY FOR FREE
Citizens of the Russian Federation, compatriots and foreign students according to the quota established by the Government of RF and according to the international agreements of RF in the sphere of science, culture and education.
To apply for an international quota, you must contact the Rossotrudnichestvo organization in your country of residence. Electronic submission of documents for participation in the competition for the quota is possible. For more information please visit http://rwp.agency/.
CONDITIONS OF ADMISSION
Documents for admission can be submitted through the Applicant's Personal Account from August 1 to August 26, 2022. You can find full information about the Applicant’s Personal Account on the Russian version of the web-site.
Stages of the admission process.
1. Go through main creative tests and a test of professional orientation.
2. Pass exams on the Russian Language and History of Theatre
3. Provide all necessary documents.
Please note that applicants who are willing to enter The Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute according to a quota of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation can be enrolled without having to pass exams on the Russian Language and History of Theatare but they have to go through the main tests of creative and professional orientation.
Useful information about each stage.
2. Practical directing
3. Profile interview
Acting: (creative practical test) includes performance of several literary works: prose, fables, poems. It is advisable to prepare several works of each genre. The works should differ from each other, which makes it possible to more fully identify the abilities of the applicant. The literary works selected for the exam must be small in volume. The exam evaluates the ability to interest listeners of the performed work, reveals the ability to improvisation, temperament, the ability to convey the character, drama or humor of the situation.
Practical directing: (professional creative and practical test). During the exam, it is necessary to direct an etude on a given topic using folk proverbs and sayings.
Profile interview: (test of professional orientation, orally and in writing). The interview is conducted to identify the level of knowledge of the applicants in the sphere of drama, theatre (playwrights, directors, composers, artists), knowledge of the theatrical process as a whole. Also the applicants are supposed to write a text on 1 of the 4 given topics on directing. Written work allows to identify professional skills and the type of director's thinking of the applicant.
When preparing for the interview, knowledge of the literature in the specified list is mandatory.
P. Brook "Empty space"
E. Vakhtangov "Collection"
E. Vakhtangov "Memoirs. Performances and roles. Articles."
N. Gorchakov "Director's lessons of K.S. Stanislavsky"
N. Gorchakov "Director's lessons of Evg. Vakhtangova"
D. Diderot "The paradox of the actor".
B.E. Zahava "The skill of the actor and director"
M. Knebel "All life"
M. Knebel "On the effective analysis of the play and the role"
M. Knebel "Poetry of pedagogy"
V. Meyerhold "Diaries, articles, letters"
V.I. Nemirovich- Danchenko "On the work of the actor"
A. Popov "On the artistic integrity of the performance"
A. Polamishev "The skill of the director. An effective analysis of the play"
K.S. Stanislavsky "The actor's work on himself in the process of embodiment"
K.S. Stanislavsky "The actor's work on the role"
K.S. Stanislavsky "My life in Art"
G. Tovstonogov "Mirror of the stage"
G. Tovstonogov "About the profession of a director"
G. A. Efros "Profession- director"
EXAM ON THE RUSSIAN LANGUAGE
Entrance test in Russian is a classroom written work which helps to identify the level of literacy, stylistic skills, creative abilities, degree of literary and general cultural development of the applicants. During the entrance test, erudition, culture of thinking,
the ability to formulate thoughts in writing, to build a complete text should be shown.
The entrance test in the Russian language reveals:
- the level of spelling and punctuation literacy;
- ability to apply the norms and rules of the Russian language in practice;
- proficiency in speech styles and types;
- understanding the phenomenon of the text and its parts.
The entrance test in the Russian language is conducted in accordance with the procedure and the approved schedule of entrance tests at the Boris Shchukin Theatre Institute.
Students are given 3 hours (180 minutes) to complete the examination work
INTERVIEW ON HISTORY OF THEATRE
The entrance test in the discipline "History of Theater" is conducted orally at the Boris Shchukin Theater Institute. Applicants must demonstrate knowledge of the main stages in the history of Russian and foreign theaters, the processes of development of Acting, changes in its aesthetic and ethical principles over time, as well as knowledge of the main stages of the appearance and formation of the director's profession.
1. Ancient theatre. The origin, the main stages of development.
2. Renaissance theater.
3. Commedia dell'arte.
4. William Shakespeare's Dramaturgy.
5. The theater of the classical era. Tragedies of Corneille, Racine, comedies of Moliere.
6. The formation of professional theater in Russia.
7. Theater of the Romantic era. The works of V. Hugo, F. Schiller, P.B. Shelley.
8. A. Pushkin's dramaturgy. His theoretical works on theatrical art.
9. N. Gogol's comedies.
10. The meaning of creative work of A. Ostrovsky for the creation of the Russian national Theater.
11. Acting of the XIX century.
12. New drama. G. Ibsen, A. Chekhov.
13. The emergence of the director's theater.
14. The history of the creation of the Moscow Art Theatre.
15. K.S. Stanislavsky as an actor and director.
16. Creativity of Vs. Meyerhold.
17. Evgeny Vakhtangov and the theatre named after him.
18. Russian dramaturgy of the post-revolutionary period. V. Mayakovsky,
M. Bulgakov, N. Erdman.
19. The Epic Theater of B. Brecht.
20. The European drama of the twentieth century. The main development trends.
21. The art of directing in the twentieth century.
List of recommended literature
1. Aseev B.A., Obraztsova A.G. "History of the Russian drama theater"
2. Boyadzhiev G.N. "From Sophocles to Brecht in forty theatrical evenings"
3. Vakhtangov E. B. "Documents and certificates" in 2 volumes
4. Diderot D. "The paradox of the actor".
5. Knebel M.O. "All life"
6. Knebel M.O. "About what seems to me especially important"
7. Markov P.A. Articles about Stanislavsky, Meyerhold, Vakhtangov, Tairov.
8. Meyerhold V. E. "Diaries, articles, letters"
9. Nemirovich - Danchenko V.I. "About the work of an actor"
10. Nemirovich - Danchenko V.I. "From the past"
11. Stanislavsky K.S. "My life in art"
12. Tovstonogov G. "The Mirror of the stage"
Short list of authors
Russian authors: D.I. Fonvizin; A.S. Griboyedov; A.S. Pushkin; M.Y.Lermontov; N.V. Gogol; A.N. Ostrovsky; I.S. Turgenev; M.A. Bulgakov; A.Vampilov; L. N. Tolstoy; F.M. Dostoevsky; A.P. Chekhov; M. Gorky; M. A.Bulgakov; A.M. Volodin; A.V.Vampilov; V.S. Rozov; M.M. Roshchin; L.S. Petrushevskaya and many others.
Foreign authors: V. Shakespeare; Lope de Vega; J.-B. Moliere; F. Schiller;
G. Ibsen; B. Shaw; A. Dumas; K. Goldoni; O. Wilde; J. Anouy and many others.
Applicants should provide their documents August 1 - 26, 2022. All the documents should be translated into Russian and the translations should be notarized.
2. Document about the level of education (qualification) and the appendix to it (if it's applicable to the law of the state where the document was issued), legalized in the order established by the law of the Russian Federation) or with apostle and notarially certified translation. The procedure for the legalization and recognition of foreign education (recognition of educational documents) can be found on the website of the Federal State Budgetary Institution Glavexpertcenter http://www.nic.gov.ru/.
3. Confirmation from the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (if an applicant is willing to be enrolled according to the quota of the Government of RF).
4. A copy of visa allowing entrance to the Russian Federation.
5. 4 photographs 3x4 sm.